You are here
|Title||Teachings of the Book of Mormon: Semester 1|
|Year of Publication||1993|
|Authors||Nibley, Hugh W.|
|Number of Pages||482|
|Publisher||Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies|
Hugh Nibley is one of the best-known and most highly revered of Latter-day Saint scholars. For over forty years this near-legendary teacher has enthralled his readers and listeners with his encyclopedic knowledge, his wit, and his untiring research in defense of Latter-day Saint beliefs.
Now you can join Dr. Nibley in the first of four Honors Book of Mormon classes that he taught at BYU during 1988-90. Part one contains twenty-nine lectures focusing on 1 Nephi through Mosiah 5. It is vintage Nibley, with his insights, humor, and passionate convictions, discussing a book that he loves and knows so well.
Table of Contents
Items in the BMC Archive are made publicly available for non-commercial, private use. Inclusion within the BMC Archive does not imply endorsement. Items do not represent the official views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or of Book of Mormon Central.
Table of Contents
- Lecture 1: Introduction - The Book of Mormon—Like Nothing Else
- Lecture 2: Introduction - Nephi’s Heritage
- Lecture 3: Introduction - Geopolitics and the Rule of Tyrants, 600 B.C.
- Lecture 4: Introduction - Setting the Stage, 600 B.C.
- Lecture 5: (Jeremiah) Insights from Lehi’s Contemporaries: Solon and Jeremiah
- Lecture 6: 1 Nephi 1; Jeremiah 29 - Souvenirs from Lehi’s Jerusalem
- Lecture 7: 1 Nephi 1; Jeremiah - The Days of King Zedekiah: “There Came Many Prophets”
- Lecture 8: 1 Nephi - Escape from Doom
- Lecture 9: 1 Nephi 1–3, 15 - In the Wilderness
- Lecture 10: (Dead Sea Scrolls) - The Book of Mormon and the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Lecture 11: 1 Nephi 4–7 - Scripture and Family
- Lecture 12: 1 Nephi 8–11 - The Tree of Life
- Lecture 13: 1 Nephi 12–14 - Nephi’s Vision
- Lecture 14: 1 Nephi 15–16 - The Liahona and Murmurings in the Wilderness
- Lecture 15: 1 Nephi 17–19, 22 - Toward a Promised Land
- Lecture 16: 2 Nephi 1–4 - “Encircled . . . in the Arms of His Love”: Oneness with God and the Atonement
- Lecture 17: 2 Nephi 2 - The Law and the Atonement
- Lecture 18: 2 Nephi 3–8 - Lehi’s Family: Blessings and Conflict
- Lecture 19: 2 Nephi 9 - Jacob’s Teachings on the Atonement and Judgment
- Lecture 20: 2 Nephi 25 - The Jews and Jerusalem
- Lecture 21: 2 Nephi 25–28 - Nephi’s Prophecy of Our Times
- Lecture 22: 2 Nephi 29–31 - Scripture and Canon
- Lecture 23: 2 Nephi 32–33; Jacob 1–2 - Rejecting the Word of God
- Lecture 24: Jacob 3–4 - Filthiness and the Atonement
- Lecture 25: Jacob 5–7; Enos - The Olive Tree; The Challenge of Sherem
- Lecture 26: Enos; Jarom; Omni - The Struggle of Enos
- Lecture 27: Omni; Words of Mormon; Mosiah 1 - The End of the Small Plates; The Coronation of Mosiah
- Lecture 28: Mosiah 1–2 - King Benjamin’s Speech
- Lecture 29: Mosiah 3–5 - King Benjamin’s Speech