You are here
|Title||Praising the Prophet: Joseph Smith and the Restoration in History and Verse|
|Year of Publication||2005|
|Authors||Anderson, Sharon Price|
|Number of Pages||102|
|Publisher||Time Lines Etc.|
|Keywords||Early Church History; Joseph Smith; Poetry; Restoration|
The prophet Joseph Smith was an extraordinary man who performed a singular role in the Restoration of the gospel. This volume is not intended to be a comprehensive review of his life nor of the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which he founded. Instead, it gives glimpses into many well-known and some not-so-familiar events that took place before and during Joseph Smith’s lifetime. It includes a brief look into the lives of Joseph’s grandfather Asael; his parents, Joseph Senior and Lucy Mack; and his wife, Emma. The martyrdom and a few subsequent occurrences are included as well.
Each featured event is approached from two very different points of views. The well-researched historical vignettes contain fascinating background information and details that may be unfamiliar to many readers. The poems provide a fresh perspective and give thought-provoking insights. Accompanying scriptures, as well as quotations and photos of four of Joseph’s successors (those who knew him personally and labored with him as adults), add still another dimension to the work.
I trust that this small volume will be a valuable addition to the literature that celebrates the Restoration and honors Joseph Smith, the great Latter-day Prophet and Seer of the Lord who “has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it.”
Table of Contents
Items in the BMC Archive are made publicly available for non-commercial, private use. Inclusion within the BMC Archive does not imply endorsement. Items do not represent the official views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or of Book of Mormon Central.
Table of Contents
- Joseph Smith's Ancestry/"Uncommon Man"
- Sharon, Vermont/"Birthplace"
- Lucy Mack Smith/"Where Lucy Goes"
- The Smith Family Moves to Palmyra/"Whence This Stranger?"
- The First Vision/"Fourteen is Young"
- Moroni Delivers the Plates/"Feast of Trumpets"
- Restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood/"Near Harmony"
- Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood/"Ordained"
- Organization of the Church/"Clear as the Sun—Fair as the Moon"
- The Prophet is Tarred and Feathered/"Feathers Flying"
- Joseph's Mission to Canada/"Who Will Listen?"
- Zion's Camp/"Marching to Missouri"
- Emma Entertains in Kirtland/"Emma's Table"
- Visions in the Kirtland Temple/"Keys in Kirtland"
- Adam-ondi-Ahman/"Northeast of Eden"
- Liberty Jail: Winter 1838-1839/"In This Moment"
- Converts Gather from the British Isles/"Sailing from Liverpool"
- William W. Phelps Is Welcomed Back into the Church/"Brother William"
- Beginning the Nauvoo Temple/Laying the Foundation — Reflections on the Sixth of April
- Joseph and Emma's Children/"Small Graves"
- Joseph and Emma Sealed for Eternity
- The Martyrdom/"Offering in June"
- Brigham Young Succeeds Joseph/"Mantle of the Prophet"
- The Work Continues/"On Nauvoo's Hill"
- Epilogue/"Focused on Eternity"