You are here
Opening the Heavens: Accounts of Divine Manifestations, 1820-1844
|Opening the Heavens: Accounts of Divine Manifestations, 1820-1844
|Year of Publication
|Welch, John W.
|Number of Pages
|Brigham Young University Press/Deseret Book
|Provo, UT/Salt Lake City
|Early Church History; First Vision; Kirtland Temple; Priesthood Restoration; Smith, Joseph, Jr.; Young, Brigham
Joseph Smith had only one request of the publisher of the Chicago Democrat, to whom he directed his now-famous Wentworth Letter: "All that I shall ask at his hands, is, that he publish the account entire, ungarnished, and without misrepresentation."
Since 1959, BYU Studies has been a premier publisher of primary historical documents in LDS Church history. Continuing this tradition, Opening the Heavens gathers in one place the key historical collections documenting divine manifestations from 1820 to 1844. Gathered here are the historical documents concerning the First Vision, the translation of the Book of Mormon, the restoration of the priesthood, the many visions of Joseph Smith, the outpouring of keys at the Kirtland Temple, and the mantle of Joseph Smith passing to Brigham Young. Each collection of documents is preceded by a chapter explaining the event.
As you read the accounts of divine manifestations in Opening the Heavens, the truth of the Restoration events becomes clearer. The original, eyewitness accounts will endure for generations, making this one of the most persuasive and influential Church history books you may ever read or own.
Many new historical resources have become available since the first edition of Opening the Heavens. Newly discovered testimonies have been added to this second edition, and footnotes cite sources recently made available by the Joseph Smith Papers Project. This valuable collection offers remarkable access to the earliest historical sources.
Table of Contents
Items in the BMC Archive are made publicly available for non-commercial, private use. Inclusion within the BMC Archive does not imply endorsement. Items do not represent the official views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or of Book of Mormon Central.
Table of Contents
- The Earliest Accounts of Joseph Smith's First Vision
- Analysis of Joseph Smith’s Accounts of His First Vision
- The Miraculous Timing of the Translation of the Book of Mormon
- Documents of the Translation of the Book of Mormon
- The Earliest Accounts of the Restoration of the Priesthood
- Documents of the Priesthood Restoration
- Seventy-six Accounts of Joseph Smith’s Visionary Experiences
- Documented Visions of Joseph Smith
- “A Pentecost and Endowment Indeed”: Six Eyewitness Accounts of the Kirtland Temple Experience
- The Mantle of the Prophet Joseph Passes to Brother Brigham: One Hundred Twenty-nine Testimonies of a Collective Spiritual Witness
- Documents of Testimonies of the Mantle Experience
- Appendix: Minutes of Brigham Young’s Remarks at the Morning Meeting, August 8, 1844
Get the latest updates on Book of Mormon topics and research for free