You are here
|Title||Echoes and Evidences of the Book of Mormon|
|Year of Publication||2002|
|Series Editor||Parry, Donald W., Daniel C. Peterson, and John W. Welch|
|Number of Pages||506|
|Publisher||Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies|
|Keywords||Ancient Near East; Anthropology; Arabia; Historicity; Literature; Mesoamerica; Philosophy; Politics; Scholarship|
The amazing achievements of the last hundred years in technology and science are paralleled by significant strides in Book of Mormon studies. Echoes and Evidences of the Book of Mormon takes inventory of some of the most fascinating ancient elements of the Book of Mormon.
For many years now, Latter-day Saint scholars have called attention to significant parallels in the Book of Mormon with the ancient world that in many cases were unknowable in the world of Joseph Smith. The sheer number of these “bull’s-eyes” alone is impressive.
In this volume, scholars trained in biblical studies, archaeology, classics, history, law, linguistics, anthropology, political science, philosophy, Near East studies, literature, and other relevant fields present some of their favorite evidences that support the Book of Mormon’s claim to ancient origins. Their findings illuminate points present in ancient sources, details that are not obvious, intricate patterns, unusual or distinctive features, and information that was little or not known in the 1820s.
Items in the BMC Archive are made publicly available for non-commercial, private use. Inclusion within the BMC Archive does not imply endorsement. Items do not represent the official views of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or of Book of Mormon Central.
- “By the Gift and Power of God”
- The Power of Evidence in the Nurturing of Faith
- New Light from Arabia on Lehi's Trail
- By Objective Measures: Old Wine into Old Bottles
- Hebraisms and Other Ancient Peculiarities in the Book of Mormon
- Not Joseph's, and Not Modern
- Ancient Texts in Support of the Book of Mormon
- How Could Joseph Smith Write So Accurately about Ancient American Civilization?
- The Wrong Type of Book
- A Steady Stream of Significant Recognitions
- Converging Paths: Language and Cultural Notes on the Ancient Near Eastern Background of the Book of Mormon
- From a Convert's Viewpoint
- Appendix: Echoes and Evidences from the Writings of Hugh Nibley