You are here
|Title||The Disciple as Scholar: Essays on Scripture and the Ancient World in Honor of Richard Lloyd Anderson|
|Year of Publication||2000|
|Series Editor||Ricks, Stephen D., Donald W. Parry, and Andrew H. Hedges|
|Number of Pages||669|
|Publisher||Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies|
|Keywords||Ancient Near East; Early Christian History; Early Church History; Far East; Historicity; Scholarship|
Richard Lloyd Anderson is a scholars’ scholar. Among Latter-day Saints, he is dean and master of two separate fields of academic study: the New Testament and early LDS Church history.
His passion for history has profoundly influenced his scholarly career; his passion for order and system has shaped his missionary work and directed him into studying law; and his love for Brigham Young University and loyalty to its mission and destiny have guided his academic path.
This volume, as you can see from the table of contents, contains essays written by outstanding LDS scholars on Book of Mormon Studies, Old Testament Studies and Ancient History, and New Testament Studies and Early Christian History.
Table of Contents
Items in the BMC Archive are made publicly available for non-commercial, private use. Inclusion within the BMC Archive does not imply endorsement. Items do not represent the official views of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or of Book of Mormon Central.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Richard Lloyd Anderson, An Appreciation
- Marriage and Treaty in the Book of Mormon: The Case of the Abducted Lamanite Daughters
- An Inscribed Chinese Gold Plate in Its Context: Glimpses of the Sacred Center
- Covenant Teachings of the Book of Mormon
- To Remember and Keep: On the Book of Mormon as an Ancient Book
- Inspired Melody and Chosen Word: The Wedding of Music and Scripture in Leroy Robertson's Oratorio from the Book of Mormon
- Religious Groups and Movements among the Nephites, 200–1 B.C.
- The Military Reforms of the Emperor Diocletian
- The Social Context of First-Century Roman Christianity
- The Last Days, Then and Now
- Messiah Becomes the New King: Notes on Isaiah 9:3–7
- The Throne Theophany/Prophetic Call of Muhammad
- Josephus's Portrayal of Jeremiah: A Portrait and a Self-Portrait
- Savior, Satan, and Serpent: The Duality of a Symbol in the Scriptures
- Scribes, Pharisees, Hypocrites: A Study in Hypókrisis
- Terrena atque Caelestia: A Prolegomenon to a Study of the Fourth Gospel
- Ye Are Gods: Psalm 82 and John 10 as Witnesses to the Divine Nature of Humankind
- Adam's Fall in the Book of Mormon, Second Temple Judaism, and Early Christianity